- RARE Dyers Companion; In Two Parts, by Elijah Emiss, 1806, 1st Edition
RARE Dyers Companion; In Two Parts, by Elijah Emiss, 1806, 1st Edition
Dyers Companion; In Two Parts, by Elijah Emiss,
Printed by Cady & Eells, New London, 1806
Belonging to the Hine Bros of Milford, CT, proprietors of Hine's woolen mill factory.
"PART 1st CONTAINING Upwards of one hundred receipts for colouring woollen, cotton or silk cloths, yarn or thread, all kinds of colours and shades, so as to make them lasting and permanent, upon the newest and most improved plan in dying; with directions for dressing cloth, and some observations and directions as to the use of colours and dye-stuff, and the properties and effects thereof -- calculated for the use of artists, private families, and the encouragement of manufacturies, & c."
"THE 2d PART CONTAINING Directions for jacking and varrnishing leather; to make oil-cloth, Lacker Brass, and Tin-Ware; To colour feathers, fur, and hair; to prepare paints, varnishes, & c. to stain wood diffeerent colours; to colour hats, either in whole or any particular part; together with a number of medical receipts, which have been found beneficial, and highly approved by the faculty."
About 1808 his sons, Clark, Anan, and Isaac, took charge of this mill and clothing business, and formed a co-partnership under the name of Hine Brothers, and introduced and practiced the art of coloring blue cloths. In 1813 Hine's woolen factory was built by them, and the enterprise was of considerable importance in the town. In 1819 this partnership was dissolved, and Anan Hine settled in the village, formed a partnership with Stanley Lockwood, and they traded as merchants in the old gambrel-roofed store by Elijah Boardman. Isaac Hine and his brother Clark continued in the mills some years.
Clark Hine: 23 Nov 1783 - 30 Mar 1842
Anan Hine: 4 Feb 1789 - 6 Apr 1860
Isaac Hine: 23 Jun 1791 -
4.5" x 6.5" x 1"
Cover intact, with surface wear to leather. Foxing through out. No tears or page loss.