Sophronia Stone Leete - Pictorial Printed Cotton Toile de Jouy c. 1810
Unique fine copperplate printed French red and white scenic landscape of figures with camels. This framed swatch of toile was a treasured belonging in the Leete family for at least 3 generations, with the listed generations on the reverse. Rev. Charles Ward Leete is a descendant of William Leete, one of the 17th c. founders of Guilford, CT.
During the second quarter of the 19th century, “fancy chairs” were very popular for American parlors and dining rooms. During this time, a young Charles Ward Leete, opened a chair factory in the area of Verona, NY. This fabric swatch may have been a sample from his business and a source of pride in his accomplishments.
Further genealogy and reference provided with purchase.
Birth: 23 Feb 1806, Vernon, Oneida, NY
Father: Joseph Stone (1 Dec 1777 - 24 Feb 1852) b. Harwinton, Litchfield, CT
Mother: Polly Morehouse Langdon (11 Apr 1782 - 29 Aug 1854)
Spouse: Rev. Charles Ward Leete (14 Oct 1799 - 13 Dec 1857) b. Leete’s Island, Guilford, CT
Marriage: 25 Oct 1833, Vernon, Oneida, NY
Death: 10 Dec 1899
Burial: Vernon Village Cemetery, Vernon, Oneida, NY
Memorial ID#: 43367048
Adaline Leete: (20 Jun 1835 - 5 Sept 1874)
Wilbur Fisk Leete: (Oct 1839 - 1898)
Sophronia “Fronia” Leete Church: (1842 - 30 Jun 1905)
William Stone Leete: (Jan 1845 - Jun 1928)
William Stone Leete
Birth: Jan 1845, New York
Father: Rev. Charles Ward Leete
Mother: Sophronia Stone
Spouse: Rosella Ann Fleming (5 Dec 1845 - 11 Dec 1919) #68875267
Death: Jun 1929
Burial: Glenwood Cemetery, Oneida, Madison, NY
Memorial ID#: 73306729
Birth: 23 Jan 1878, Oneida, Madison, NY
Father: William Stone Leete
Mother: Rosella A. Fleming
Spouse: William Henry Pine (31 Dec 1871 - 21 Jun 1935) #67267800
Rev. Charles Ward Leete attended public schools in Guilford and Verona, and was a seminary student between 1815 - 1820. He was a student of Fairfield Seminary in 1820. “During his minority he was employed mostly on the homestead farm at Verona; later he established a chair factory in that town, which he operated for several years.” He received his ministry license in Mar 1831. He was appointed assistant pastor at Steuben, NY in the fall of 1833. A year later he became pastor at Antwerp, NY. He served several ministerial positions following that in Fullerville, Canton, Potsdam, Fulton, Weedsport, Little Falls, Adams, and Vernon.
Frame: 12" x 14"
VERY GOOD. No holes or damage. Not conservation mounted. In original family frame.