Wilda Marie Lucier
Birth: 1 Oct 1885, Putnam, Windham, CT
Father: Louis Lucier, 1841 - 1926, #84783530
Mother: Julienne Bibeault, 1842 - 1895, #84783497
Death: 22 Dec 1979, Killingly, CT
Burial: Saint Mary Cemetery, Putnam, Windham, CT
Memorial ID: 83223335
Louis and Julienne were born in Canada, being of French descent. Louis emigrated by age 17, finding work in CT.
In 1880, at the age of 39, Louis Lucier is listed as a shoe maker. In 1895 his wife Julienne dies at the young age of 43 - Wilda was not yet 10 years old. Louis never remarried. His daughters, Anna and Wilda, remained with him in the family home until his passing in 1926. By 1900, he seems to have found his calling as a jeweler.
By 1889, at the age 14, Wilda is listed as a student under Sister Superior Mary Paula and the Sisters of Bon Secours at the Notre Dame De Bon Secours Academy, Putnam, Windham, CT. It is unclear at what age she was admitted to the academy.
In 1909, at age 24, Wilda is listed as a book keeper at a real estate office. By 1913, she is listed as a Stenographer.
In 1930, siblings Roseanna, Arthur, & Wilda are living in the family home at 20 Bullock St. By 1940, Arthur and Wilda are listed at the family home. Arthur, also having never married.
Louis/Lewis Lucier Jr:
Napolean Lucier: 1864 - 1935, #84783627
Roseanna "Annie" R. Lucier: May 1867 - , milliner
Sarah Lucier: Aug 1869 - , saleswoman domestic goods
Frank H. Lucier: Feb 1871 - , jewelry store keeper
Anton/Arthur G. Lucier: Jan 1881 - , watch & clock repairer
The Pilot, Volume 63, Number 31
August 4, 1900
"In 1875, the parish of Putnam was quite meagre. The pastor, the Rev. Eugene Vygen, perceived the urgent necessity of religious as well as secular education for the younger members of his flock. The Sisters of Mercy had been for several years extremely successful with schools and convents in the larger cities and towns of the diocese, and Father Vygen, whose zeal was indomitable, and whose energy was irrepressible, was in 1874 enabled to secure the erection of a parochial school and lay the foundation of the present imposing edifice ot Notre Dame de Bon Secours. Five Sisters of Mercy came from Hartford with the brilliant and scholarly Mother Josephine, at their head. This zealous little band formed the nucleus whence sprung the learned faculty and impressive institution of the present day.
In 1875 the convent was opened to receive students. Only two boarders were in attendance the first year—a notable illustration of the fact that sometimes great colleges and great schools have but a very humble and very lowly beginning. The good Sisters, nothing daunted, and relying solely on the favor and help of God, kept bravely at their work. The zeal and ardor of Father Vygen and the heroic self-sacrifice and devotion of the Sisters soon crushed out the thorns of bigotry, and won for them the admiration and confidence of all, even of their bitter enemies. Each succeeding year the tide of happiness and prosperity never ebbed or diminished. Sisters, parents, pupils, friends, ay! even enemies were pleased to testify to the wonderful success and prosperity of the convent."
"Putnam’s growth came from its river, the Quinebaug. In the mid-1700s, grist and saw mills supported the local farming economy. By 1855, when Putnam incorporated from portions of Pomfret, Thompson, and Killingly, the industrial age had already brought several large cotton mills to the area along with a railway line."